Photo of Bryan R. Gavin and Salvatore Imbornone Jr.

New Jersey

Personal Injury Attorneys

How can I resolve a workers’ compensation dispute?

On Behalf of | Sep 7, 2022 | Workers' Compensation |

If you are injured at work in Florham Park, it may be immediately apparent to you that you should qualify for workers’ compensation benefits to cover your medical expenses and lost wages. However, your employer may not see things the same way, leading to a workers’ compensation dispute. If this happens to you, you can pursue an informal hearing in New Jersey or a formal petition.

Informal hearings in New Jersey

Informal hearings are held before a judge of compensation. The purpose of an informal hearing is to settle a dispute without having to go through formal litigation. Informal hearings can be quicker and less expensive than litigation.

A judge’s suggestions in an informal hearing are not binding. If you disagree with these decisions, you can still pursue a formal petition.

Formal petitions in New Jersey

Formal hearings will generally be held within six months of filing the claim. Most claims are settled out of court. If this is not possible, you will move forward with the trial process. For example, testimony may be taken from you, your doctors and other witnesses. Once the trial is complete, the judge will issue a binding decision.

Addressing workers’ compensation disputes

Workers’ compensation disputes in New Jersey happen often enough that they are not uncommon. Sometimes an informal hearing is all that is necessary to resolve a complaint. Other times, however, a formal petition is needed to resolve a dispute.

If you are interested in pursuing either of these options, you will want to make sure you understand all the legal aspects of workers’ compensation disputes, so you can make informed decisions moving forward.