Photo of Bryan R. Gavin and Salvatore Imbornone Jr.

New Jersey

Personal Injury Attorneys

Can you file suit without a police report?

On Behalf of | Mar 10, 2020 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

In some cases, you may not have a traditional accident report when you discover a car crash injured you. Whether you would have a case at this point would depend on your specific situation. 

Most of the time, you would probably file a lawsuit for a car accident when you have serious injuries. There could be expenses that insurance does not cover, or else the insurance companies may not offer you a reasonable amount without further persuasion. Usually, the presence of these types of injuries would require you to immediately report the accident to the police. 

When to file a report 

As explained on FindLaw, you have an obligation to report car accidents to the New Jersey MVC Agency when there is an injury involved. If you are not able to do so, then a passenger in your vehicle or the owner of the vehicle could also file a report within 10 days. 

When injuries are not obvious 

Of course, there are many situations in which the presence of an injury is not immediately apparent. Many well-known and common injuries that result from auto accidents often have delayed onset of symptoms. 

If you believe that you are suffering from one of these types of injuries, you may have a number of options. If ten days have not passed since the accident, you could file a written report. If that much time has already elapsed, then you may want to look at your case from a more unique perspective. 

When your case is unique 

Personal injury law in New Jersey recognizes that not every situation is the same. Rather than immediately give up if your symptoms took some time in appearing, you should probably act as quickly as possible to determine whether you still have a chance to enlist the help of the court in making you whole again from your injuries.