Dealing with the aftermath of a personal injury can turn out to be quite a taxing endeavor — both physically and financially. Whether the injury stemmed from an automobile accident, an accident at work, a slip and fall in a parking lot or a mistake by a medical professional, seeking the assistance of a personal injury lawyer is in your best interest.
Now, of course, hiring the first personal injury lawyer you come across might not actually be in your best interest. It is important to take some time to pick the best possible lawyer for your case. For that, there are a few steps to take in order to help you choose the best fit.
- Collect referrals – sometimes the best way to find a solid lawyer is by referral. This way you know at least someone has already used and approves of the lawyer. Ask friends, family or coworkers who have been represented by a lawyer for their own personal injury claims. You could also get a solid referral from another lawyer, as lawyers often refer cases to one another. Compile a list of the personal injury lawyers people referred to you and start from there.
- Meet the lawyer – in order to find the best fit, you should take the time to sit down and meet with the lawyer(s) you are thinking of hiring. Be sure to bring any and all documents that apply or go with your case. Most lawyers, like those at the law firm of McHugh & Imbornone, P.A., offer free initial consultations to go over your case. Stay away from those who charge you just for discussing your case.
- Gauge experience – during your visit/interview with the lawyer you should take the time to figure out how much experience they have. For instance, McHugh & Imbornone, P.A. have over thirty years of experience but you would not know that if you did not ask. Engage the lawyer and ask some of, if not all, of the following questions:
* How often do their cases involve personal injury?
* How long have they been in practice?
* Which side do they usually work for? The defendants or the plaintiffs?
* Who is responsible for handling your case? The lawyer with the most experience or the new up and coming one who just joined the practice?
- Discuss settlement goals – the next big step after gauging a lawyer’s experience is to lay out your aspirations when it comes to a settlement. It is important to discuss this because the lawyer may charge an amount that they feel you would not be able to obtain in a settlement. That means it would not be in your best interest. Let them know if you’re looking for as much money as possible no matter the cost or if you are just looking to get more than the insurance company offered. Either way, it is important to discuss with your lawyer and figure out what is best for you.
Once you have chosen and your case gets underway, make sure to create a written fee agreement. Also be sure to keep in touch with the lawyer and make sure everything is going as planned.
If you or a loved one is in need of a personal injury lawyer, remember to follow the aforementioned steps. Then take the time to contact the law firm of McHugh & Imbornone, P.A. right here in NJ. Call 973-966-1520 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your free initial consultation.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.